If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: While this is certainly NOT traditional Chinese roast pork, it's roast pork and it features Asian ingredients to produce a lovely, succulent piece of meat with a great, distinctive flavor. Leftovers, should there be any, are great in fried rice or egg rolls or wrapped in pancakes as if it was muu shu pork. —Kayb
- 4lb pounds pork shoulder roast
- 3 tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut or canola or corn oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Pad Thai sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Coat roast in a mixture of five-spice powder and black pepper and sear over medium high heat in a large Dutch oven; remove to plate.
- Lower heat to medium and cook onion until soft; add ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant. Return roast to Dutch oven and move to 300-degree oven.
- Combine remaining ingredients except for chicken stock and baste roast liberally. Cover again and roast for 3 hours total. Baste every 30 minutes or so, and add chicken broth to pan if it appears to be getting too dry.
- Remove roast from Dutch oven and transfer to rack in roasting pan. Increase heat to 350 and roast for another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add water to pan juices and deglaze Dutch oven over medium high heat, reducing until thick. Serve sauce over chunks of roast pork.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Roasted Pork Shoulder
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Put cake on a pedestal.