If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My Poppa Hy was a fabulous dancer, a dress designer, a card shark, a wonderful grandfather, and he made hands down the greatest matzoh brei ever. Saturday morning breakfast was the highlight of every weekend visit. He would come home from temple, change his clothes make coffee in their old fashioned percolator and slowly and methodically , start making matzoh brei. We would sit at the table waiting for each pancake to arrive, cut into 8 perfect slices. I like 3/4 of mine with salt, pepper and cottage cheese, and the last with wedge with maple syrup, my brother goes for maple syrup and blueberries. Poppa Hy had a magic pan which is currently in my cousins possession, though that is in negotiations. - Aliwaks
- 8 sheets Matzoh, unsalted passover matzoh, if you use salted or egg and onion adjust salt
- 6 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons peanut oil
- salt & pepper
- Break matzoh up into small pieces with your hand, roughly 1", put in large bowl and just cover with HOT water
- Whisk eggs with salt & pepper
- Check matzoh pieces to see that they have sucked up the water and are nice and mushy, but with just a bit of resistance left in them, they shouldn't be a pile of mush, you should be able to see that they are individual pieces.
- Drain out all the water, squeeze it out, there shouldn't be any water at all
- Gently mix eggs in to matzoh, let sit while you heat the oil
- Heat 1/2- 1 tablespoon of oilin to a manageable pan, by that I mean a pan you can flip over easily with one hand
- When oil is nice and hot (bubbles form around the tine of a fork), pour in enough "batter " to cover the bottom of the pan, fry until the edges start to release from the sides and you can slide it around, it should be nice and brown
- Now flip, Poppa Hy would slide a plate underneath the done part then magically flip the whole over thing intact, I frequently drop half on the stove.
- Cook until the bottom has browned, should be soft and giving in the middle with out being runny.
- Serve with cottage cheese, or jam or maple syrup or honey or with smoked salmon & chive cheese cheese.. Small matzoh breis make a great base for Passover Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon or trout. Some people, like my brother, add caramelized onions or fruit. I don't.
Freeze It Right There
A fruity, frozen spin on a classic.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Community Picks: Lettuce-Free Salad
All you need for Memorial Day.
Cast your vote!
Grind it real good.