Author Notes: When you say chewy I say Snickerdoodles. I cannot say I invented this recipe, but I have made a few modifications since my mother sent me the recipe she used and I grew up eating. Shortening (organic with no transfats :)) combined with butter prevents the cookies from spreading too thin, yielding a chewy and soft center. Do not overbake, or they will not pass the chewy-test. - TasteFood
Food52 Review: The dough is quite crumbly, so you'll really need to smoosh the dough balls together. Despite the unconventional texture, they come out just like a good snickerdoodle should: chewy-cakey and fragrant with cinnamon, with only a few lost to excessive cracking. They otherwise hold a nice shape from the small amount of shortening and full teaspoon of baking powder. I also tested a version with more egg; the dough came together and the cookies held together more consistently as they baked. So it's up to you: if you want security and binding power, go with 2 eggs. Or live on the edge and get a handful of misshapen but delicious snickerdoodles all to yourself. Note: My best results were from the minimum cooking time of 12 minutes, rotating the sheet once, without waiting for them to appear golden. - Kristen - A&M
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Cream butter and vegetable shortening in bowl of electric mixer. Add sugar and beat until very light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and beat in. Add flour and mix to combine.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Form dough into 1 1/2" balls. Roll in sugar and cinnamon. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment, partially pressing down. Bake until top is cracked and lightly golden, 12-14 minutes. Cool completely.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chewy Sugar Cookie