If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When you say chewy I say Snickerdoodles. I cannot say I invented this recipe, but I have made a few modifications since my mother sent me the recipe she used and I grew up eating. Shortening (organic with no transfats :)) combined with butter prevents the cookies from spreading too thin, yielding a chewy and soft center. Do not overbake, or they will not pass the chewy-test. - TasteFood
Food52 Review: The dough is quite crumbly, so you'll really need to smoosh the dough balls together. Despite the unconventional texture, they come out just like a good snickerdoodle should: chewy-cakey and fragrant with cinnamon, with only a few lost to excessive cracking. They otherwise hold a nice shape from the small amount of shortening and full teaspoon of baking powder. I also tested a version with more egg; the dough came together and the cookies held together more consistently as they baked. So it's up to you: if you want security and binding power, go with 2 eggs. Or live on the edge and get a handful of misshapen but delicious snickerdoodles all to yourself. Note: My best results were from the minimum cooking time of 12 minutes, rotating the sheet once, without waiting for them to appear golden. - Kristen - The Editors
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Cream butter and vegetable shortening in bowl of electric mixer. Add sugar and beat until very light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and beat in. Add flour and mix to combine.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Form dough into 1 1/2" balls. Roll in sugar and cinnamon. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment, partially pressing down. Bake until top is cracked and lightly golden, 12-14 minutes. Cool completely.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chewy Sugar Cookie
Mom's (The) Best
Mom's Pasta e Fagioli
Pasta e Fagioli
Vegetarian Ma Po Tofu
DIY Herb Rub
Easygoing banana bread.
Go play outside!