If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I came up with this recipe in 2003 as when I was dabbling with a low-glycemic, gluten-free diet. I've had many people fooled that this wasn't made with flour. In early incarnations, I used Splenda (or half sugar/Splenda); but as Splenda is a really hideous chemical pharmaceutical concoction (that leaves a nasty aftertaste too), I decided to go with real sweeteners as of late. These make a healthy breakfast alternative to whatever Dunkin Donuts offers, and as their nutritional profile consists of abundant complex carbs, healthy fat and protein, these make great pre-workout or recovery snacks. - avantgurlnyc
Serves 12 muffins
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil, a monounsaturated, neutral tasting one
- 2 15-oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup palm sugar (you can use cane sugar, but it won't be low glycemic. i haven't tried agave nectar, as it messes with the liquid proportions)
- 2 lemons, zested in one bowl and 1 squeezed in another
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons xanthan gum or guar gum (optional, to help bind)
- 1 ½ tablespoons poppyseeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard-size muffin baking tray with paper baking cups. Note: If You Care® unbleached paper baking liners are great as you don't need to grease your pan and your baked good doesn't stick (it's a pet-peeve of mine when half of a muffin/cupcake is stuck to the paper).
- In a blender, add all ingredients (in order as they are listed) except the lemon juice and poppyseeds. Blend until very smooth. Add juice and poppyseeds and blend more until seeds are evenly distributed in batter.
- Pour batter into the lined muffin tray. Bake for 25 minutes or until the muffins pass the clean toothpick test. (You can also bake this in a cake or loaf pan.)
- Remove from tray and let cool. Refrigerate or freeze or eat them up as they can spoil easily. (If refrigerated, you can heat them in the microwave for 15 seconds or so. Longer if frozen, obviously.)
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.