If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Asparagus, how do I love thee, let me count the ways... At this time of year I cannot get enough asparagus. They manage to accompany me home from the market every time I shop. In order to cultivate this love affair, it's nice to have a few recipes to choose from to keep this springtime dalliance interesting. In this recipe, springy green asparagus are enhanced by lemon and a luxurious tarragon infused aioli. Crispy prosciutto shards keep it real with a salty, porky crunch. —TasteFood
Food52 Review: The tarragon aioli is out of this world -- lemony, creamy and springy. It's perfect with the asparagus. The crispy prosciutto is also, of course, ideal as a partner to the asparagus. TasteFood understands that in-season asparagus needs little more than lemon juice, zest, salt and olive oil. This dish would work well as a veggie and dip or as a first course. - Emily —The Editors
For the Tarragon Aioli
- 2 very fresh large egg yolks
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Combine the egg yolks, garlic, lemon juice, mustard and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process until homogenized. Combine oils in a small bowl. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in oil until the mixture comes together and thickens. Transfer to a bowl and add tarragon and lemon zest. Cover and refrigerate until use.
For the Asparagus
- 6 thin slices prosciutto
- 1 1/2 pounds green asparagus, ends snapped off, bottoms cut on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- Lemon zest for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Arrange prosciutto slices in one layer on a baking tray. Bake in oven 20 minutes. Turn off oven. Keep prosciutto in oven for additional 10 minutes. Remove and cool.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus and blanch briefly until they are bright green in color, but still firm, 1 minute. Remove, drain and refresh under cold water. Lay on a kitchen towel in one layer to cool and thoroughly dry.
- Arrange asparagus on a platter. Drizzle with olive oil. Squeeze 1/2 lemon over. Sprinkle with sea salt. Break up the prosciutto into shards and scatter over the asparagus. Garnish with lemon zest. Serve with Tarragon Aioli on the side or drizzled over asparagus.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Use of Aioli
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Asparagus Recipe
Welcome to Funky Town
How to make kimchi—without a recipe
Make kimchi—without a recipe.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
Eat cookies for breakfast.
The chicest apron around.