Author Notes: I love asparagus, but my favorite way to eat it is simply blanched, served with a spritz of lemon juice and a little s&p. For this contest, I decided to get a little creative, and transform some of my favorite standbys with the addition of my favorite spring veggie. My mom makes a killer zucchini quesadilla, so I decided to make it even better with a few tweaks and the addition of asparagus. The smokey cheese and asparagus really make it! (I guess a quesadilla falls somewhere between pizza and sandwiches, right?) - Loves Food Loves to Eat
- 1/2 onion-sliced
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced
- 6-8 asparagus stalks- halved and then sliced lengthwise
- 2-3 garlic cloves- diced
- .5 teaspoons cumin seeds
- .5 teaspoons ground cumin
- generous salt and pepper
- 1-2 cup shredded cheese (a mix of jack and something smoked-gouda or smoked cheddar)
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inch for optimal filling/dilla, but smaller or bigger would work)
- EVOO for brushing
- 1-2 tablespoon EVOO for cooking
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in large skillet, and add cumin seeds, onions, and asparagus. Cook until fragrant and slightly tender. Add zucchini, salt, and pepper, and continue cooking until tender and slightly saucy.
- Assemble on a cookie sheet: 1 tortilla, handful of cheese (desired amt), half of mixture, handful of cheese, 2nd tortilla (x2). Brush top of tortilla w/EVOO, and bake for 5-10 min, until golden, flip, brush w/EVOO, repeat.
- Enjoy with sour cream and cilantro!