If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe comes from my aunt, Ann, who was a superb baker. Today is her birthday and I thought I'd honor her memory by submitting this "receipt", as she used to joke. It makes terrific toast. —Lizthechef
Food52 Review: This recipe is amazingly simple -- it's quite possibly the easiest bread I've ever made. Putting the bread dough together takes only 5 minutes. By combining boiling water and cold milk, Lizthechef creates an ideal temperature for the yeast to get to work and the dough rises in less than an hour. The recipe is so fast that I even made it twice to test the difference between active dry yeast and instant dry yeast. I preferred the results with instant, but the active also worked. The bread only takes 25 minutes to bake, but that's plenty of time to fill the house with the wonderful aroma of baking bread. I'd recommend the recipe as an easy way to bake bread when you are short on time. You could whip it up in the morning and have it warm with a little butter and jam for breakfast. - Stephanie —The Editors
Serves 1 loaf
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups unsifted, unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup boiling water.
- 1/2 cup cold skim milk
- Stir dry ingredients together and set aside. Add boiling water to cold milk in a large bowl. Add half the flour mixture and beat well by hand. Stir in the rest of the flour mixture. You will have a stiff batter.
- Turned the batter into a greased loaf pan. Cover with a clean towel and allow to raise in a warm place for 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool. Makes about 20 thin slices.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best (Savory) Yeast Bread