If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My stepfather was born in Italy, near Rome. He taught me to use garlic with a heavy hand, and he taught me this dish, which I've been making since I was about 10 years old. Even a child can make it, but it will delight the most sophisticated adult as well. Traditionally there should be one pea for every grain of rice, but this represents a reasonable compromise. - Abra Bennett - Abra Bennett
Food52 Review: This is a wonderful recipe. It's similar to risotto, only much less work, and the result is no less delicious. I successfully used Pernod instead of Marsala; all the peas and the delicious simplicity of this dish were a big hit with both my adult and child testers. - WinnieAb - The Editors
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups rice, preferably short grain
- 3 tablespoons Marsala
- 3 cups shelled peas, can use frozen if necessary
- 3 cups hot chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat the oil and half of the butter in a skillet until butter melts. Add the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir until it becomes translucent. Add the Marsala, and continue to simmer, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute. Add the peas, 2 cups of the broth, and the salt and pepper.
- Cover the pot, bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow to cook undisturbed for 10 minutes. Add the remaining broth, cover, and cook for an additional 10 minutes, until the rice is perfectly done.
- Stir in the Parmesan and the last bit of butter. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Spring Peas
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.