If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I wasn't going to enter another recipe, at least not so soon, but... Scallops are my favorite food, and this is my favorite way to prepare them. The recipe adapted from Chef Sulim Tomás -- “Tommy”, when he was chef of the long-gone Half Shell restaurant in Boston. Be careful not to buy watery scallops. The water indicates that they’ve been treated with chemicals to keep them fresh. These chemicals will make them taste like soap suds. Not the flavor you’re looking for. - ChefJune
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced white onions
- 1/2 cup fish stock or 1/4 cup each water and dry vermouth
- 2 pounds scallops – Nantucket scallops preferred (if you use the larger sea scallops, slice them horizontally in two or three)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or marjoram (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- sea salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Fino Sherry
- Poach onions in stock until translucent and soft, but not mushy. Add scallops to the simmering liquid and turn it off. Let the scallops sit in the liquid with the onions until they are cooked. (It's important not to overcook the scallops or they will become rubbery.
- At the same time, melt the butter in a sauté pan. Sauté the mushrooms in the butter until they are brown.
- Preheat the broiler. Place the scallops and onions in a shallow ovenproof dish. Top with the mushrooms, fresh herbs, and salt and white pepper to taste. Sprinkle the sherry over. Broil close to the heat source for about 2 or 3 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
- Serve over a pilau of brown and wild rice or saffron fettuccine.
- Wine Tip: My favorite wine with this dish is Les Fourchaumes, a Premier Cru Chablis from Domaine Laroche.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Scallops