If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I still have this recipe card written in my mother's hand. It's all the more poignant because she was a quadraplegic for the last 14 years of her life. Before that, she was a prolific and renowned cook and entertainer, throwing legendary parties at UC Santa Cruz where my father was provost. This dish reflects her Chicana heritage and is a real crowd-pleaser. I hope you make it and think of her fiery Latin spirit and love of the good life. —gluttonforlife
- 3 cans fire-roasted whole green chiles (21 ounces)
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar, grated
- 1/2 pound Monterey jack, grated
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 13-oz can evaporated milk
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup enchilada sauce (choose the spice level you desire)
- 3 cups diced cooked meat (leftover chuck roast is perfect)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large sautee pan and cook onion and garlic until lightly browned. Add cooked meat, pepitas, raisins, apple and beef stock and cook until softened and well melded. Set aside.
- Combine enchilada sauce and tomato sauce in a bowl. Combine two cheeses in another bowl.
- Split chiles and discard stems and seeds. Line a deep baking dish with a layer of chiles, then a layer of the beef mixture, then a layer of the cheeses. Continue until you use all ingredients, reserving enough cheese for a top layer.
- Combine milk, eggs and flour, and season with salt and pepper. Beat until foamy and pour over everything. Bake until set, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cover with combined tomato and enchilada sauces. Top with layer of grated cheeses. Return to oven and bake until bubbling and browned, another 30-45 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit 15 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Recipe or Technique Your Mother Taught You
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.