Author Notes: These are a twist on a recipe from one of my mother's favorite cookbooks, The Everyday Gourmet. I've added espresso powder and subtracted the nuts, because that's how I roll. (Oh, and, Jane? That's my mom!) - queenie_nyc
Makes 16-20 brownies
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 13x9 baking pan and set aside.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a double-boiler set over very low heat. Allow to cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until pale yellow. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and beat until well-combined. Mix in the flour, espresso powder, baking powder and salt and stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and vanilla.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and back 25-30 minutes, until just set in the center. Allow to cool on a rack before cutting.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Recipe or Technique Your Mother Taught You