If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe came from my late mother who made these about once a month for Sunday brunch. They're traditionally filled with applesauce -- if you decide to go that route, cook the applesauce over low heat until most of the moisture has evaporated. You'll have a much easier time of it. - CottageGourmet
Serves 6 as a side dish
- 1 cup sour cream (not low-fat please)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- extra melted butter to grease pan
Dry ingredients and egg white treatment:
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cardamom (about 8 pods cracked open & ground in a mortar & pestle)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites, beaten until rounded peaks form
- Put the ableskiver pan over medium heat and allow to preheat while batter is assembled.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Combine the sour cream, milk, egg yolks and melted butter.
- Add all the liquid to the dry ingredients at once, stirring until blended.
- Beat the 3 egg whites until rounded peaks form. Spread the batter over the beaten whites and fold together.
- Grease the aebleskiver wells with butter (about 1/2 tsp. each). Fill wells about 1/2 full -- using toothpicks, turn when they develop one golden brown side and keep turning until done. They should be cooked over fairly low heat in order to cook through to the center.
- If you want filled pancakes, place a smaller amount of batter in the well, put about a teaspoon of applesauce in the center then cover with ore batter so the applesauce is completely enrobed and the wells are about 1/2 full.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Recipe or Technique Your Mother Taught You
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.