If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Hamantaschen are an annual staple in my family. As you probably know, they can often be cakey, mushy, or instantaneously stale. Not so with these: they've been perfected. They're crunchy, flavorful, and a perfect counterpoint for their (surprise!) nutella filling. - Rivka
Serves about 20
- 2/3 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- pinches Salt
- 2-3 cups Flour
- 1 Small container nutella
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, and mix on medium speed for about 1 minute to incorporate.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine lemon zest, baking powder, salt, and 2 cups flour. Mix, then add to wet ingredients and mix on low speed just until dough comes together. Add up to - more cup flour if dough is too sticky; I usually add 1/2 cup extra, the use some of the other half cup to roll out dough.
- Gather dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 45 minutes. Remove from plastic and transfer to floured surface, the roll to 1/8 inch thick.
- Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut as many cookies as you can. Feel free to reroll scraps.
- Set up your station: a little bowl of water on hand, jar of nutella fit with a spoon, and a tray coated with parchment. Drop a teaspoon of nutella onto the center of each cookie, dip your finger in water and coat the outer rim on each cookie, and fold sides into a triangle.
- Preheat oven to 375. Pile cookies onto cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Bake 10-15 minutes, until just starting to turn golden. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Recipe or Technique Your Mother Taught You
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.