Author Notes: Agua tamarindo, or tamarind water, is served everywhere in Mexico. Made from tamarind pulp, water and usually lots and lots of sugar, it is a refreshing change from lemonade or ice tea. I have eased up on the sugar and added ginger and lime for a bit of a bite. The chili salted rim is a fun surprise on the lips—a great addition to any margarita as well! The addition of tequila would be well received by this Mexican inspired refresher! **A note about tamarind pulp: I buy tamarind in blocks of the sticky tamarind fruit along with the seeds and fibrous bits. To obtain usable pulp, put ½ cup of the tamarind in a pot with just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then let sit for 30 minutes (or overnight) and press it through a strainer. Your pulp should be the consistency of yogurt. - wanderash
- 3/4 cups ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cups tamarind pulp
- 1/4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup mint, stems removed
- 6 sprigs mint, for garnish
- 1.5 liters seltzer water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chili, use any dried chili you have and grind it to the same size as the salt
- Combine ginger, sugar and water in a pot. Boil for 5 minutes, then transfer to a container and refrigerate. Allow the syrup to cool. When it is cool, strain the ginger. The syrup can be kept refrigerated for 3 weeks.
- To make the Chili Salt, mix the sugar, salt and chili powder in a bowl and spread it onto a plate.
- Combine tamarind pulp, ½ cup ginger syrup, lime juice and mint in a pitcher. With a wooden spoon smash the mint, bruising the leaves and releasing their flavor.
- Slide a lime wedge around the rims of 6 glasses and sink the rims into the Chili Salt. Fill the glasses with ice.
- Add the seltzer water to the pitcher and mix well.
- Pour the Tamarind Ginger Fizz into the glasses. Use your wooden spoon to hold back as much of the mint as possible when you pour.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Refresher