If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love rhubarb, and I especially love combining it with savory ingredients. It works very well with pork, for instance. I made this recipe both in the form presented below and as a vegetarian dish, omitting the prosciutto. Also, forgive the possibly awkward measurements. I'm from the Netherlands, so I've converted from grams to ounces, because I've got no idea how much 1 cup is. - Harmenjanssen
Makes around 8 portions
- 3 sticks rhubarb
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1.75 ounces sugar
- 1 glass red wine
- 4.40 ounces Arborio rice
- 7 ounces pancetta
- 2 small shallots
- 1 glass white wine
- 600 milliliters milk
- a couple of fresh mint leaves
- a small piece of raw rhubarb
- salt and pepper
- Cut the 3 sticks rhubarb in about 1 inch long pieces. Place the rhubarb with the lemon juice and sugar in a small sauce pan. Note; cooking the rice takes longer than cooking the compote, so you may want to do this while executing the first steps of making the risotto.
- When the rhubarb has softened, add the red wine. The wine should at most barely cover the rhubarb.
- Let simmer until reduced and you've got a nice, thick compote. Optionally add some more sugar to taste and take the pan off the heat.
- Dice the pancetta real small and mince the shallots. Meanwhile, melt some butter in a skillet. Add the rice to the pan and fry for just a couple of minutes.
- Add the pancetta and shallots and fry gently until the shallots have softened. Pour the white wine in the pan and allow it to evaporate over medium to low heat.
- Start adding milk to the pan, half a cup at a time. Don't drown the rice, add just enough to come halfway up the rice. Only add a next half cup when the previous one has almost evaporated. Keep gently stirring the rice to make sure it won't stick to the pan.
- Start tasting the rice after about two cups are added. Tasting is the only way to know if it's done! When it is, stop adding milk.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the rhubarb compote and warm through. Serve the rhubarb risotto in small bowls. Garnish with a couple of mint leaves and grate some raw rhubarb over the dish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Rhubarb
You're the Best, Forget the Rest
The World's 50 Best Restaurants have nothin' on these recipes.
The best restaurant? Your kitchen.
Orecchiette with a bite.
Treats for your beach bag.
These are mmmpanadas.
You won't be board with this game.