If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a simple rhubarb pie. It's fun to add other ingredients, especially strawberries. If you add juicy fruits, increase the corn starch. I like a tart pie, so I use a minimum amount of sugar. I also highly recommend making a crust with lard. There is nothing so flaky or delicious. Golden white flour is an organic flour with the germ retained. It is very tasty but high in gluten.Therefore, you must work quickly with the dough, keep it cool and handle as little as possible to prevent it from becoming gluey. - maryahart
- 2/3 cup cold lard
- 2 cups golden white flour
- cold water
- Cut the lard into the flour with a pastry cutter, until the pieces are the size of large peas.
- Sprinkle cold water over the mixture, two or three tablespoons at a time, and toss it with a fork. Repeat this until the dough barely holds together into a ball. Refrigerate the dough, wrapped in waxed paper or plastic, for at least half an hour.
- 5 to 6 cups rhubarb, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 to 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Mix together the rhubarb, sugar and corn starch. Let the mixture sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Roll out half the dough and line a 10 inch pie pan with it. Fill the pan with the rhubarb mixture and dot the filling with butter. Roll out the other half of the dough, cover the pie and crimp the edges. Cut steam holes in the top crust. Sprinkle a couple teaspoons of sugar across the top.
- Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for ten minutes, then turn down to 350 degrees and cook for another 30 to 50 minutes. The pie is done when the crust is brown and the center is bubbling.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Rhubarb
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Lettuce love vegetables.
The Daily Grind
Bold and brewtiful coffee.