If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by a blueberry kuchen I used to make and the Bakewell tart/pudding recipe that was featured in this month's Bon Appetit. The blueberry kuchen (German for cake and usually with yeast) is a cakier sweet tart dough pressed into a tart pan, covered with fruit, and morphed into a Bakewell tart like concoction where dough (egg rich in the original Bakewell way and the same tart dough in my case) is also baked on top. The end result is a not too sweet thin shell of cake baked around a tart chunky rhubarb filling. - testkitchenette
Serves 8-12 slices
- 1 1/4 pounds rhubarb, woody ends/leaves trimmed away and chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- squeeze of lemon/orange juice
- small pinch of salt
- Put all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook until starring to fall apart and sugar dissolves, approximately 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 3/4 cup cold butter, diced
- 5 dates, pitted and soaked in 1 cup boiling water and drained
- 3-4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon or orange zest
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Pulse all ingredients in the food processor until it comes together in a sticky dough. Wrap in plastic and let rest in the fridge for 30 minutes. Spread about 3/4's of the dough in a buttered 8-9 inch round tart pan.
- Pulse all ingredients in the food processor until it comes together in a sticky dough. Wrap in plastic and let rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Spread about 3/4's of the dough in a buttered 8-9 inch round tart pan. Spread the rhubarb mixture on the on top of the dough and then spread dough that you have patted out into rounds on the top of the rhubarb.
- Place tart pan on top of a cookie sheet and bake for 40-50 minutes. Let cool and serve. Vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream with creme fraiche would be a nice with it.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.