If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by two things I had at Starry Kitchen, a new restaurant in downtown LA. The first was a hamburger with hoisin sauce and a lot of green onions in the patty. The second was a rice cake with kimchi, parmesan, and a creamy sauce. I though ramps might be somewhat similar to scallions and that a ramp-heavy rice cake might be quite delicious. I am a big ginger fan so this recipe has a lot of ginger, as well as some crumbled bacon. I used Fakin' Bacon tempeh bacon since my partner is vegetarian, but I think meat bacon would work well too. - clintonhillbilly —clintonhillbilly
Food52 Review: The rice cakes are jam-packed with ramps, which go very well with the ginger and garlic. The fried cakes form a crispy crust that contrasts nicely with the sticky interior. The dipping sauce packs some heat and adds a nice creaminess to the rice cakes. - Stephanie —The Editors
- 2 cups sticky rice (sushi rice), cooked
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 1/2 cup jack cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups ramps, chopped
- 1 heaping tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 heaping tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or other chili sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons garlic mayonnaise or aioli
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 vegetarian or meat bacon strips, fried crisp and crumbled
- 1/2 inch olive or other oil
- Saute ramps, garlic, and ginger for 2-3 minutes.
- Combine ramps, garlic, ginger, rice, matzo meal, egg, jack cheese, and bacon in a mixing bowl.
- Mix well, then form into seven patties by hand. Season well.
- Heat 1/2 inch olive or other oil in a skillet. Pan-fry ramp rice cakes till golden on both sides. Drain on a paper towel.
- In a small bowl, mix garlic mayonnaise, sriracha, and soy sauce thoroughly. Season with a little black pepper.
- Serve ramp rice cakes with dipping sauce while still hot from frying.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ramps
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
DIY Nutter Butters.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
Just shrub it off.