Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by two things I had at Starry Kitchen, a new restaurant in downtown LA. The first was a hamburger with hoisin sauce and a lot of green onions in the patty. The second was a rice cake with kimchi, parmesan, and a creamy sauce. I though ramps might be somewhat similar to scallions and that a ramp-heavy rice cake might be quite delicious. I am a big ginger fan so this recipe has a lot of ginger, as well as some crumbled bacon. I used Fakin' Bacon tempeh bacon since my partner is vegetarian, but I think meat bacon would work well too. - clintonhillbilly - clintonhillbilly
Food52 Review: The rice cakes are jam-packed with ramps, which go very well with the ginger and garlic. The fried cakes form a crispy crust that contrasts nicely with the sticky interior. The dipping sauce packs some heat and adds a nice creaminess to the rice cakes. - Stephanie - A&M
- 2 cups sticky rice (sushi rice), cooked
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 1/2 cup jack cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cup ramps, chopped
- 1 heaping tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 heaping tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or other chili sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons garlic mayonnaise or aioli
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 vegetarian or meat bacon strips, fried crisp and crumbled
- 1/2 inch olive or other oil
- Saute ramps, garlic, and ginger for 2-3 minutes.
- Combine ramps, garlic, ginger, rice, matzo meal, egg, jack cheese, and bacon in a mixing bowl.
- Mix well, then form into seven patties by hand. Season well.
- Heat 1/2 inch olive or other oil in a skillet. Pan-fry ramp rice cakes till golden on both sides. Drain on a paper towel.
- In a small bowl, mix garlic mayonnaise, sriracha, and soy sauce thoroughly. Season with a little black pepper.
- Serve ramp rice cakes with dipping sauce while still hot from frying.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ramps