If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a lovely dish for breakfast or lunch. My husband who hates cooked spinach or chard had seconds!Gently baked eggs with soft yolks melt into the creamed ramp leaves. The braised ramp bulbs add a nice contras in taste and texture.
Serve over crispy buttered toast and a slice of good ham.
Preparing the ramps
- 4 bunches of ramps (abou 6-8 per bunch)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- Clean the ramps and cut in half: bulb plus stem is one half, the leaves is the other half. Heat a skillet with olive oil and broth over medium heat. Add the ramp bulb/stem pieces, cook for a few minutes, then cover with the leaves. Cover and cook until the bulbs are soft about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, place on a platter lined with paper towels and let cool.
Preapring the sauce
- 3 tablespoons usalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour (I used white whole wheat)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Pinch nutmed
- 2 tablespoons shredded paremesan cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 8 slices good bread
- 8 slices ham (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 2 gratin pans.. Next, prepare the Béchamel sauce. Melt the butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook 1 minute. Add milk, cream, mustard, and nutmeg and bring to boil, whisking constantly. Boil sauce 1 minute; season with salt and pepper. Mix Stack and slice the cooked ramp leaves into 1 inch pieces, Mix into the béchamel sauce. Divide the creamed greens mixture to form a shallow layer in the gratin pans. Decorate the tops with the cooked ramp bulbs. Break 4 eggs on top of each creamy greens layer, being careful not to break yolks. Top with the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper., Bake until egg are just set. Serve each portion (one egg over greens) over a slice of buttered toast, and if desired, put a slice of ham or prosciutto over the toast, before spooning the creamed ramps and egg on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ramps
This Week's Best #F52Farmstands
Cheese peppers, grapes, and more
This week's best #F52farmstands.
Get baking this Labor Day.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Storage made crystal clear.