Author Notes: I love lemon curd but sometimes wish for something with fewer calories. With this recipe I answered my own dreams! It's still totally luscious, I don't even miss the butter. Try it with meringue and berries for a riff on the Pavlova. - gluttonforlife
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 scant cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 8 tablespoons lemon zest
- Strain lemon juice and combine with sugar in a small saucepan. Heat on low and stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Place cornstarch in a small bowl and whisk in a few tablespoons of the lemon syrup. Then stir back into saucepan.
- Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl. Remove lemon syrup from heat and pour slowly into beaten egg while whisking briskly. Continue to whisk by hand for one minute.
- Return mixture to saucepan. Add lemon zest, and heat on low until it thickens, about five minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer to a container, cover surface with saran (to prevent a skin from forming), and refrigerate.