Author Notes: J, the sous chef at Prune restaurant, is somewhat famous for his family meals, and this is one of his best. He calls it breakfast, but it can also be enjoyed as a light lunch or dinner. - Family Meal
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced thinly
- 1-2 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 cups coarse breadcrumbs, big enough that they look like croutons
- 2 cups ricotta
- 1/2 - 1 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 4-5 slices good quality ham
- 6 eggs
- kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- Take a 9x13 pan and oil the inside with a little olive oil. Set aside and preheat your oven to 450.
- In a big saute pan, heat some olive oil until shimmering, and add the onions and thyme. Toss around a little bit until the onions are coated and turning translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the breadcrumbs and toast them with the onions for a few more minutes, until they start to turn golden. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool as you prep the next step.
- In a medium bowl, blend the ricotta with the milk/cream to loosen it up. Add the breadcrumb/onion mixture. Put half this mixture in the bottom of the pan. Put the ham down in a single layer over the breadcrumb/cheese mixture, and then top the layer of ham with the rest of the breadcrumb/cheese mixture. Crack your eggs over the top and bake until the whites are done and the yolks are set to your likeness, roughly 30 minutes.