If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Pachadi is a side-dish curry similar to the north Indian Raita.Pachadis are ,light vegetable preperations with mustard seeds and yogurt sauce.This recipe has been in our family for years.this is typically served as part of the feast for ONAM,Kerala's fall harvest festival.This also nice with dry meat curries like meat ball curry, spicy chicken curry ,a meat roast or with dhal and rice. - pauljoseph - pauljoseph
Food52 Review: I've never experienced pachadi before and was blown away by this delicious condiment. I made two small changes to the recipe: 1. I did not have access to fresh coconut, so I substituted organic unsweetened dried coconut. 2. I used Greek yogurt, so my result was thicker than the one in Pauljoseph's photo. Otherwise, this recipe is easy to follow and this is a great Indian side dish. - WinnieAb - The Editors
- 1/2 cup Cucumber , diced medium fine
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced (finely diced)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup thick curd or live plain yogurt
- For the paste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated coconut
- 1 small green chili
- Grind the above to a paste
- For the temper
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 small dries red chilli, torn roughly
- A few curry leaves (if available, otherwise omit)
- Put the cucumber , ginger and water into a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer until the cucumber is soft but still firm.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Make the paste and mix it into the yogurt, then add to the cucumber /ginger mix.
- To make the temper, heat the oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Heat until the seeds pop (the oil should not smoke)
- Add the chili and curry leaves (if used) and cook for a few seconds, then pour everything over the paste and fold in. Serve at room temperature.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Vegetable Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe