Author Notes: Muhammara...How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
On pita, in tabbouleh….just to lick….and on pizza! Consider this the middle eastern equivalent of Margherita! - Kitchen Butterfly
Serves 1 or 2 (depending on generosity)
- 1 pita round (~20cm diameter) or Lavash (20 x 20cm)
- 1/3 cup Muhammara (recipe below)
- Pomegranate molasses, to taste
- 100 g (Buffalo) Mozzarella Cheese
- 30 tomato berries or 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Sprinkling of dried oregano, mixed with olive oil to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 230 deg C/475 deg F and set a baking stone (if you have one) onto a rack at the lowest rung of your oven. If you don't have a pizza stone, use a regular baking tray, turned upside down. Alternatively, put on your grill
- Using a pastry brush/spatula, spread the pita or lavash with the Muhammara, and drizzle with pomegranate molasses.
- Tear the mozzarella into pieces and scatter over the Muhammara. Finish off with the tomato berries or quartered cherry tomatoes and drizzle with the dried oregano olive oil
- Place in the oven or on the grill and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with a glass of mint tea!
- 2 slices of wholegrain bread (~ 70g), toasted
- 80g flaked, raw walnuts
- 2 red paprikas (bell peppers), blackened, skinned and deseeded
- 2 cloves of (roasted/smoked) garlic (smashed)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper (or cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon dry roasted cumin seeds
- 20ml (1 1/2 tablespoons) pomegranate molasses
- 20ml olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Put the bread, walnuts, red peppers, garlic, paprika, chili, and cumin seeds in a food processor. Pulse, till the mixture breaks down, scooping the sides in.
- Follow with the pomegranate molasses, olive oil and lemon juice. If you feel you need more than what is specified in the recipe, by all means modify.
- Taste and season with salt to ensure you have a tasty dip.
- Store for up to a week in the refrigerator
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pomegranates
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pizza