If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Authentic Caponata recipe from Italy with pine nuts, currants, and cocoa powder. I have been known to eat this stuff with a big spoon- its that good! - Stefano Coppola
- 2 small Italian Eggplants, peeled & cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1 Red Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 Roma Tomatoes, chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons Pine Nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons Dried Currants
- 1 teaspoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- zest and juice 1 Orange
- 1/2 cup Extra VirginOlive Oil, plus some for toast
- 1 loaf Pane Toscana, or baguette
- 1 teaspoon crushed Red Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- Slice bread into 1/4in. slices. Grill, or toast, bread until crispy. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1/2 cup olive oil in a large saute pan or cast-iron skillet.
- Add Eggplant & Onion, saute until onions are translucent. Add garlic and saute 2 min.
- Add tomatoes, thyme, red pepper, pine nuts, cocoa & currants. Cook 2 min longer.
- Add orange juice, zest, and honey. Cook until excess moisture is evaporated, about 3 min.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve on toasted bread or in a bowl as a dip.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Eggplant Recipe