Author Notes: I love this tart- the egg yolk runs over the pizza, making a delectable "sauce" of sorts that gets soaked up by the toppings and crust. - apartmentcooker - erinmcdowell
Food52 Review: This is an excellent recipe and is fun to make as well. The flavors of the leek, garlic and prosciutto meld beautifully with the creamy boursin, and the egg "sauce" transforms the dish. We made this on a Friday night and ate the leftovers for breakfast AND lunch Saturday. To reheat, we broke the yolk and spread it over the pizza, then microwaved lightly so the yolk didn't cook all the way through. Amazing! - mariaraynal - A&M
Serves 3 or 4 small tarts
- 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons ice water, or more as needed
- egg wash, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine the flours and the salt in a medium bowl. Toss the butter in the flour. Use your hands to “shingle” the butter with the flour. Do this by flattening the butter between the palms of your hands. The larger the pieces of butter are, the flakier the dough will be. The smaller the pieces of butter are, the mealier the dough will be. For this tart, a flakier crust is better, since the toppings are light and won’t weigh down the tart.
- Finish the dough by adding ice water one tablespoon at a time until the dough begins to come together. When the dough is finished, cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- When the dough is chilled, take it out of the refrigerator and divide it into two pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and roll out using a rolling pin. Roll the dough into a circle about 1/4″ thick. Transfer to a baking sheet. Dock (poke holes into) each piece of dough all over the base with a fork.
- Apply egg wash to the edges to the tart shell. Bake in the oven until just starting to brown, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 ounces prosciutto, diced
- 1 bunch leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Boursin (or other soft cheese)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the prosciutto and saute until it begins to become crispy. Add the leeks and garlic and continue to cook until the leeks are soft.
- Remove from the heat and add the Boursin. Mix to combine, season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Set aside until needed.
- Spread the leek mixture across the par-baked crusts Gently top with the raw egg.
- Bake the tart in the oven until the egg white is set and the crust is fully browned, about 5-6 minutes. If a less runny egg is desired, add an additional 2-3 minutes Remove from the oven and serve on warm plates.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pizza