Author Notes: This recipe was developed to utilize the beautiful oriental eggplant and squash from my CSA. It can be made with homemade marinara sauce or your favorite bottled sauce. I recommend serving it with garlic bread. - JenSchall
- 1 oriental eggplant, sliced
- 1 large yellow squash, sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 28 ounces marinara sauce
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat the grill to medium heat and the oven to 375°F. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Meanwhile, slice drizzle the eggplant and squash slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the slices for a few minutes on each side, until tender.
- Spread a layer of sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Add a layer of the grilled eggplant and squash. Top with additional sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Continue to repeat layers until all of the eggplant and squash is used. Top the final layer of squash and eggplant with sauce and cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until bubbly and golden. Top with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Eggplant Recipe