If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am a self-professed Caesar addict. This recipe came about after rigorous testing of and tinkering with a basic Caesar dressing recipe. This lighter Caesar is delicious -- the perfect summer salad. Plus, since the dressing has no raw eggs in it, it is perfect for picnics where refrigeration isn't an option. The dressing recipe makes extra, and you'll be glad of that! —chilmarkgal
Food52 Review: WHO: Chilmarkgal impresses us not only with her recipes, but also with her Pink Floyd references (her blog is called “Dark Side of the Spoon”).
WHAT: A “basic” chicken Caesar salad that is anything but.
HOW: Blend a whole slew of anchovies with garlic, lemon juice, mustard, Parmesan, Worcestershire, and olive oil. Use the dressing as a marinade for grilled chicken breasts, then make cheesy croutons out of a baguette and shaved Parmesan. Mix the chicken and croutons with romaine, then toss liberally with the dressing and top with more cheese.
WHY WE LOVE IT: A Caesar salad without a great dressing is like macaroni and cheese without cheese: sad and boring. But with this dressing on hand, we’ll never have another sub-par Caesar again. It's simultaneously light and rich, and the addition of sugar, mustard, and Worcestershire makes it complex but not labor-intensive. —The Editors
- 6 oil-packed anchovy filets, rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/4 teaspoons granulated sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 heads romaine
- 1/2 French baguette
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Blend anchovies, 2 cloves of the minced garlic, lemon juice, mustard, sugar, 6 tablespoons of the finely grated Parmesan, and the Worcestershire sauce until smooth.
- With the blender running, stream in 1/2 cup olive oil until the dressing is thick and fully emulsified.
- Brush chicken breasts with a few tablespoons of the dressing and grill or broil until cooked through. Cool and slice or chop.
- Wash and dry lettuce, then cut it however you like (I prefer chopping it into 1-inch pieces).
- Open baguette by cutting it in half, cut each half into 1-inch croutons, and toss it with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 clove minced garlic. Bake in the preheated oven until crunchy, about 10 minutes (be careful to make sure the garlic doesn't burn!). Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of finely grated Parmesan on top of the croutons, then put back in oven until the cheese is melted.
- Assemble the salad by dressing the romaine to taste, mixing in the croutons and the grilled chicken, and topping with shaved Parmesan. Enjoy!
Topics: Weeknight Cooking
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Caesar Salad
Be a Little Saucy
Chicken dinners with slammin' sauces
It's all about the sauce.
Recipe of the Day
It's time to travel.
Fish for your lunch.