If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I play an obscure Turkish instrument and my music teacher is a very demanding man (as his children were quick to tell me when I started taking lessons). When he found out his wife couldn't cook, the story goes, he threatened to call off the wedding until his fiancee's mother made her memorize a cookbook. To this day, all the Turks say that she's the best cook around. She always insists I have dinner with them and she has taught me a few recipes, but this one (called Yayla Corbasi, which means "green mountain fields soup") I reverse engineered to suit my usual ingredients. She makes this soup with a very liquidy homemade yogurt, whereas I usually have greek-style yogurt or full-fat Brown Cow. Anyway, this is a really quick, delicious comfort-food soup. I always have the ingredients on hand, so I throw this together when I don't want to try very hard. Can also whisk in an egg to thicken it up. - solmstea
- 1/3 cup Bulgur wheat or Pearled barley (or ~1.5 cup cooked)
- 1 cup Plain Greek style or full fat yogurt
- 2 cups Stock or water
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/4 cup Fresh dill, finely diced
- Salt, to taste
- Cook the Bulgur or Barley in lots of salted water until tender (~30 minutes for cracked bulgur, ~1 hour for pearled barley).
- Bring the stock or water to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low-medium and whisk in the yogurt until it's smooth and well-blended.
- Slowly whisk in the lemon juice - that is, whisk quickly and add the lemon slowly. I don't like it too lemony, but if you like a lemony taste, you could probably use as much as 1/4 cup.
- Add the bulgur or barley to the soup and simmer lightly (without boiling!) for 5 - 10 minutes. Salt to taste.
- When the soup is hot, but not boiling, turn off the heat and whisk in the dill (if you're using dry, use ~1.5 tablespoons). Serve!
This burger's all that and a bag of barbecue-flavored chips.
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Prep your pans for perfection.
Behind the scenes.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.