Author Notes: This recipe is from our forthcoming book "Cooking with the Movies: Meals on Reels." It is part of the meal in the film "Mostly Martha." - Anthony Chiffolo
- 1 large salmon
- 1 cup German Riesling, or some other white wine
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 handful fresh basil stems
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Remove the inner grill from a fish poacher, and pour the white wine and vinegar into the pan. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, coriander seeds, and basil stems; grease the grill, and replace it in the pan. Place the salmon on the grill.
- Poach over a medium-high heat for 8-12 minutes until the salmon turns a light- to gray-pink color.
- Mix the cream, mayonnaise, ginger, salt, pepper, and basil leaves in a small food processor until spreadable.
- Place a piece of salmon on a Butternut Squash Latke (see below)
- Slather spoonsful of the basil sauce over the salmon when serving.
Butternut Squash Latkes
- 2 large butternut squash
- 2 onions
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- Peel and grate the squash; strip the onions and grate them also. Transfer the squash and onions to a colander and press out any excess moisture. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, lemon juice, flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, salt, and Cayenne; add the squash and onions, and mix well. (If the mixture is too wet, add a bit more flour.)
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a large frying pan. Drop a heaping spoonful of the mixture into the oil and press down with a spatula to flatten. Fry until brown and crispy on the edges, cooking each side for about 3-5 minutes. Drain on paper towels placed on a large platter and keep warm until serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salmon