Author Notes: This recipe is from our forthcoming book "Cooking with the Movies: Meals on Reels." It is part of the meal in the film "Gosford Park." - Anthony Chiffolo
- 1 large salmon
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup pickling brine or pickle juice
- 1 cup chives, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 3 handfuls fresh dill
- 2 bay leaves
- variegated or colored fresh greens
- carrot shavings
- lemon and lime florets
- Wash the salmon thoroughly. Pour the wine, water, and pickling brine into the bottom of the fish poacher; add the chives, sage, dill, and bay leaves. Place the fish on the greased grill/insert, and set on top of the herbal/liquid mixture. Place over medium-high heat and poach for 15-20 minutes, until the outside meat of the fish has turned a gray-pink color and a cut into the middle of the body of the fish assures that no part is raw or undercooked.
- Remove to a large platter of variegated or colored greens sprinkled with loads of carrot shavings. Surround with lemon and lime florets. Decorate with a spicy tartar sauce (see below).
Spicy Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons white processed horseradish
- 1/2 cup dill pickle relish
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, and refrigerate until serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salmon