If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My photography doesn't do this recipe justice! The light and creamy potatoes and the zing of fresh horseradish are the perfect companion for salmon with just a hint of fresh dill sprinkled on top so that it doesn't steal the show. This was my delicious dinner last night, but is elegant enough for a dinner party. You can also make the Duchess potatoes out of leftover mashed potatoes by adding a beaten egg to them. —nannydeb
- 4 Salmon filets, no thicker than about 1/2 inch thick
- 4 medium Russet potatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup half & half or whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish, or to your taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus more for the salmon
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, plus more for the salmon
- 1 egg, beaten
- olive oil for the pan
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- In a large pot, boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat, drain and return them to the pot.
- Mash the potatoes with a masher or potato ricer until smooth with no chunks.
- Add the half & half or milk, butter, horseradish, salt and pepper. Mix well and taste to adjust seasonings.
- Add the beaten egg and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Rinse the salmon and pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Oil a baking pan with olive oil. Place the salmon skin side down onto the pan.
- Spoon the potato mixture into a pastry bag with a large tip (or a make shift pastry bag made out of a plastic baggy).
- Pipe the potatoes onto each salmon filet in the pattern of your choice. I made rows of little stars. You could also just smooth the potatoes on the salmon with a spoon.
- Bake the salmon for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes start to get golden.
- Sprinkle the fresh dill on top and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salmon
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
It's in the bag.