Author Notes: Cue sound of music ... Warm crispy salmon, cilantro and lime, chipotle mayonnaise makes these so sublime ... salmon cakes are some of my favorite things ... someone please stop me now!!! Ok on to the point ... these babies are perfect for the summer tangy and very versatile ... you can eat them with salad, put em in a sandwich, make mini ones for apps! Note: I like making things as efficiently as possible so this recipe is written in a way that maximizes time ... all together this should only take you about 35 minutes til you can gobble them up :D - amreen
- 1 pound skinless salmon filet
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 small red onion - diced
- 1/2 small red bell pepper diced
- 1 small bunch cilantro - chopped
- 1 egg - beaten
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 limes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle chile diced or 1 tblsp powder
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a pan with foil and place the salmon on it. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes ... until cooked through. Remove salmon from the oven and put it in the fridge to cool.
- While the salmon is in the oven you can make the chipotle mayo. You can use either chipotles in a can (la morena has an adobo sauce and is a cool looking can) or if you can find it 1 tablespoon of chipotle powder (this is ideal but really hard to find and expensive!). Make the sauce simply by measuring out the mayo and adding the chipotle powder or diced chipotle. Refrigerate.
- While the salmon is cooling dice the onion and red pepper. Chop the cilantro and beat the egg. Zest one of the limes and juice it along with the other lime. Measure out 1/2 the breadcrumbs (I like panko for an extra crunch).
- Once the salmon has cooled for a bit take it out of the fridge and place it in a mixing bowl. Flake it a bit and add the onion, red pepper, cilantro, egg, lime zest, juice, breadcrumbs and mayo. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly ... you should end up with not so moist tuna salad consistency.
- Heat some oil in a skillet on medium.
- Shape the salmon into rounds and dip in the remaining bread crumbs.
- Place the cakes in the skillet and brown them on each side ... should only take 2 minutes a side.
- Serve them with the chipotle mayo hot, cold, room temp with or without a salad ... maybe on a sandwich or at a fancy party ... but most importantly ... with love :D
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salmon