If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For me, lasagna is the epitome of cold weather comfort food. A few years ago I came across a recipe for lasagna with prosciutto and roasted portobello mushrooms. Since I had eggplant on hand at the time I substituted it for the mushrooms to see if the flavor pairing would work. The result was so delicious that I have never looked back. - KelseyTheNaptimeChef
Serves 8-10 people
For the Sauce
- 4 cups whole milk
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 cups gruyere, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- Kosher Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Filling & Assembly
- 2 pounds eggplant, cubed
- 1 cup prosciutto, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 pound lasagna noodes (I use No-Boil noodles)
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- Olive oil
- 1. Preheat oven to 400. Add cubed eggplant (1 inch cubes) to a bowl and toss with 2 T. olive oil. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil and spread eggplant on it in one even layer. Roast for about 30 minutes, turning eggplant halfway to ensure even browning. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350.
- In a skillet heat 2 T. olive oil and saute prosciutto until crispy. Then add onion and rosemary, stir until onion is tender and translucent. Be sure to watch the skillet and stir the mixture so nothing burns! Once onion is tender turn off the heat and set the pan aside.
- For the Sauce: Boil milk and broth over medium heat. Once it is boiling turn off heat and set aside. Working quickly, in a separate pan melt 8 T. butter. Whisk in the flour and stir to make a roux. Once flour is incorporated, whisk in the hot milk and broth mixture, bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and stir for 5 minutes to let the sauce thicken. Remove from heat and quickly stir in the cheeses and nutmeg. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease a 13x9 baking dish and spread 1 cup of sauce on the bottom. Arrange the lasagna noodles snugly over the layer of sauce, it is ok if they are slightly overlapping. On top of the noodles layer another cup of sauce. Then top it with half of the roasted eggplant, and half of the prosciutto. Top with a second layer of noodles and repeat layers.
- After the second layer is complete, top with a third layer of lasagna noodles. Pour any remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle 1/2 c. parmesan cheese over the sauce. Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. This can be prepared ahead of time and baked later in the day.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Baked Pasta
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Eggplant Recipe
The Genius Way to Cook Chicken Thighs
Better than your favorite fried chicken.
Better than fried chicken.
Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
Fire up the grill.
Sunshine Sweet Apricots
Portable picnic snacks.