If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This was a recent entry for a Foodie Fights competition I was in. It was an elegant and delicious dessert! - mtlabor —mtlabor
Food52 Review: These dumplings are delicious and incredibly rich. The strawberry mascarpone filling is simply prepared and has the perfect sweetness. We had a lot of it leftover after filling the dumplings, so if I make this again I would make a smaller amount. I'm not a whiskey drinker, so I was nervous about the flavor of the sabayon. No worries needed -- the spice from the whiskey is fantastic and adds a great dimension to the decadent dipping sauce! The flavors and textures of the dumplings and the sabayon complement each other very well. This is an elegant and creative dumpling dessert! - forester_lady —Brianne Du Clos
Serves 20 dumplings
Strawberry Mascarpone Dumplings
- 12 ounces container mascarpone cheese
- 1 container strawberries, about 15-20 big ones
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 20 wonton wrappers
- vegetable oil, for frying
- powdered sugar (optional)
- In a small food processor, combine the mascarpone, 1 container strawberries, honey, and sugar. Mixture should be somewhere between thick and thin. Place mixture in the freezer for about 10 minutes to firm up a bit.
- On a flat working surface (like a cutting board), place 1 wonton wrapper flat on board.
- Spoon about a teaspoon worth of filling in the center.
- Dab the edges with warm water and fold up to seal. You can pinch the edges to get an even better seal also.
- Using a deep fryer would be ideal for this, but considering I don't own one, we'll just have to keep it old school. Fill a deep pan about 2 inches high of vegetable oil. Heat under medium high to high heat. You'll know it's ready when you can throw a little piece of wonton wrapper in and see it bubble and fry nicely.
- Fry about 3-5 wontons at a time, about 30 seconds to 1 minute, flipping once in between. They should be nice and golden brown. Let dry on paper towels and top with powdered sugar.
Strawberry Whiskey Sabayon
- about 7 strawberries, chopped
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries and orange juice. With an immersion blender, puree the strawberries until they're at your desired consistency. I left a little bit of chunks for good texture.
- Mix in the whiskey, vanilla, and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- In a metal mixing bowl, add the egg yolks and stir until the yolks just break. Add in whiskey/strawberry mixture and mix well.
- Assemble a double boiler with the metal bowl by sitting it atop a small pot of simmering water. Make sure the bowl doesn't touch the hot water or your yolks will scramble. Whisk constantly for about 10-15 minutes, or until mixture is triple in size. I sped up the process by using the whisk attachment on my immersion blender and it whipped up pretty nicely. Serve with dumplings.
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
The invincible beer can chicken.
The chicest apron around.