If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: During the autumn months, I go crazy for anything pumpkin: flans, breads, pies, muffins, cakes. You name it, I've tried it. But after a while, I figured it couldn't hurt to try mixing things up a bit. Going off of the very similar taste and textures of pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie, I took a recipe for pumpkin dessert squares, tweaked it and turned it into a fabulous sweet potato dessert that always garners rave reviews. It, as with most sweet potato desserts, is really tasty served cold. Please try this; it's great any time of year! - ren
Serves 20-25 squares
- 1 package yellow or spice cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 5 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Microwave the sweet potatoes on High for 15 minutes. Turn over and microwave another 12 minutes, or until a knife goes all the way through. Set aside and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of cake mix and set aside. Combine the remaining cake mix, melted butter and egg in a bowl and stir until a wet dough forms.
- Grease the bottom of a 9 x 13 metal baking pan. With your fingers, press the dough into the bottom of the pan, all the way to the edges. Set aside.
- Cut each sweet potato in half lengthwise, scoop out the inside and place in in another bowl. Discard skins.
- Wisk together the sweet potatoes, evaporated milk, eggs and sugar. Taste. Add more sugar until the mixture is as sweet as you want it to be.
- Pour the mixture on top of the dough, jiggling the pan so that it distributes evenly.
- Combine the reserved cake mix, 1/4 cup of sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in the cubed butter until little pea-sized balls form. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until the mixture sets. You may want to place foil over the top at 35 minutes if it starts to brown too much. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Place in the freezer to chill for an hour. Cut into squares. Serve with whipped cream.