If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had this in a restaurant, but as it's on a stick, it'd make wonderful food truck/street food material, particularly since it can be made up an hour or so early and then crisped up with a final flash fry. Great walking-around breakfast at a festival or farmers' market on a Saturday morning, or on a busy sidewalk on the way to work! Note: This is a recipe where it's important to use the el cheapo thin supermarket bacon, rather than the good, thick, slab stuff. Unless, of course, you are buying your bacon uncut and slicing it yourself; if so, set the slicer thin and go! - Kayb
- 4 one-inch-thick slices challah
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 12 strips thin-sliced bacon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- Cut each challah slice into thirds, and thread lengthwise onto a skewer. Beat eggs, half-and-half and spices, and dip each skewer. Melt butter on a grill pan and fry toast skewers over medium high heat, turning to brown on all four sides. Set aside.
- Fry bacon to done-but-still-limp stage. Drain. When cool enough to handle, wind one bacon strip around each toast skewer, securing with toothpicks if necessary.
- Heat canola oil over high heat in a very shallow pan and give kebabs a final flash-fry (maybe 30 seconds on a side) to crisp everything up.
- Let cool just slightly, so bacon will hold its shape, and remove toothpicks. Serve with honey, syrup or fruit preserves for dipping. (B Side sprinkles theirs with powdered sugar, but I can't bring myself to do it.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best French Toast
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls