If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I live in Southern California where there is always an abundance of citrus fruit, so I'm always looking for new ways to use it in everyday cooking. I made this French toast one weekend in Palm Springs with an erstwhile boyfriend; he's not around anymore but the recipe lives on! I've made this with little baguette slices and with large sourdough slices, it's delicious either way. - Cottage Gourmet —CottageGourmet
Food52 Review: Many hours later, the perfume of citrus oils still lingers in the kitchen -- *sigh* we are so smitten with this recipe. CottageGourmet's french toast is delightfully simple in its list of ingredients, and sophisticated in its presentation. Pretty flecks of orange and lemon zest perfectly coat each slice, and deliver such a lovely, smooth, sunny flavor with barely a whisper of sweetness. Close your eyes and take in a big nose of the intoxicating bouquet before your first bite -- you will certainly be happier for it. - Jennifer Ann —The Editors
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk (2% is okay too)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 lemon, zested
- 4 slices day-old bread
- maple or passion fruit syrup
- Beat eggs & milk, add sugar and citrus zests
- Pour into a 13x9 pan, place bread slices in pan, turn over until it's all absorbed by the bread
- Heat about 1 T. butter in a frying pan; when it's hot & sizzling add the bread slices -- one layer only -- cook until browned, turn over & cook the other side. Repeat, if necessary (depends on the size of your pan!); keep warm in 200º oven. Add more butter when necessary to keep the bread sputtering nicely in a butter bath.
- Plate the toast; pour either maple or passion fruit syrup on it and enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best French Toast