Author Notes: I'm a budding cook, working diligently to practice and learn. This is my first from-scratch recipe that I am actually proud of and would recommend. Progress! - Mollyh
Serves 4 side dishes
- 2 pieces bacon, jambon or panchetta, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 14 ounces chick peas rinsed and drained
- 14 ounces canned artichokes, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 8 cups arugula greens or other tender greens
- 1/4 cup cream sherry
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh lemon juice
- In a large frying pan, fry bacon over low to medium heat til cooked through. Remove using slotted spoon to paper towels.Pour off most of the leftover oil, leaving about 1-2 teaspoons left in the pan.
- Lower the heat,add cumin seeds and cook until darker in color and fragrant, about one minute.Watch closely, as they can burn quickly.
- Add chickpeas and artichokes and give a good stir til they are warmed through. Add the sherry, bacon and greens and toss over the heat, til greens are wilted and liquid has reduced somewhat.
- Season with salt and a generous squirt of the lemon to taste and toss again. Serve immediately.