If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe came from my paternal grandmother, Hortense Paster and it has long been a family favorite. My aunt served this potato salad in her (sadly) short-lived Washington DC deli in the 80's, which she called Zeltner's, after my grandmother's parents. It is a simple recipe with only a few ingredients -- we eschew hard-boiled egg in potato salad -- but it is sublime. The apple cider vinegar is the key to the flavor. - ekpaster
- 3 pounds Waxy Potatoes
- 1-2 Green peppers, diced
- 1 small Red onion, diced
- 1 cup Fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 cups Good quality mayonnaise, like Hellman's
- 5-6 tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil potatoes in generously salted water until tender. (The amount of time will depend on the size of your potatoes.)
- While the potatoes are cooking, whisk apple cider vinegar into the mayonnaise to create a pourable dressing.
- Once the potatoes are tender -- and be careful about checking your potatoes too often because they can become water-logged if you poke too many holes in them -- drain them in a colander.
- As soon as the potatoes are cool enough to handle, chop them into bite-size pieces. (You can peel them or not, as you choose. My grandmother always did, but I sometimes do not.)
- While the potatoes are stil warm, toss them with the mayonnaise and vinegar mixture. (Warm potatoes will absorb the mixture better.)
- Add green pepper, red onion, and parsley and combine gently so as not to break up the potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes or so, so the potatoes can absorb the dressing. Serve warm (my favorite) or cold.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Salad
A Girl and Her Greens
April Bloomfield gets reckless with vegetables and we like it.
Shop Spring Cleaning
A Stuffable Side Dish
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Save Your Stems