If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Growing up in Trinidad & Tobago this was a favorite for me and the whole family. typically served with Bar-B-Qued Chicken or Beef or Lamb and along with Vegetable Fried Rice and fresh Water Cress. We would often wash it down with "Lime juice" (Lime-aid) or Lemonade. VARIATION: some folks would add freshly crushed Habanero peppers or finely chopped Bird Pepper (small chillis). - darrel3000
- 3 pounds (6 large) Russet Potatoes
- 1.5 pounds (3) large carrots
- 1.5 cups (10-12 oz CAN) green peas >drained and washed
- 2 large hard boiled eggs
- 2 cups real mayonnaise ( about 5 heaping tablespoons)
- 2 stalks fresh chive >finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons raw brown sugar
- 2+1 teaspoons table salt
- 4 leaves fresh Shado Beni (Recao) (you may substitute Cilantro)
- 4 sprigs fresh Thyme (or fresh oregano)
- Scrub potatoes and cut each in half, Scrape & trim carrots, wash and cut in half. Place carrots & potatoes in a large pot and cover with twice the water (about 6 quarts) , bring to boil and add 2 tsp salt. Let boil until done, approximately 22 minutes on high. Drain pot, Peel potatoes while hot and let cool. Boil eggs for ten minutes after the water comes to a boil. (you may want to boil the 2 eggs along with the potatoes, add them in after the water comes to a boil and leave them for 10 minutes).
- After potatoes have cooled to room temperature peel them and cut potatoes into ½” cubes and place in a large mixing bowl. Cut carrots and eggs into ¼” cubes and add to bowl. Remove leaves from thyme sprigs and mince them finely. Separately, mince Shado beni (Recao) finely.
- Add green peas, chives, shado beni, thyme, sugar, black pepper and 1 tsp salt to bowl and mix together for 1 minute, add mayonnaise and mix for another 2 mintues.
- Serve immediately or place in refrigerator for later. If refrigerated, remove and let it come to room temperature (about ½ hour) before serving. Garnish with chopped Chives.
- For questions or comments you can reach me at [email protected], feel free to ask me where you can find Shado Beni. Most Caribbean & Mexican green grocers carry it.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Potato Salad
Recipe of the Day
Strawberry, Rhubarb, and Lime Popsicles
Shop Spring Cleaning
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
An out of the blue use for a mason jar.
Simple, Springy Leek Soup