If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a fresh take on an old-fashioned recipe. Three Bean Salad is traditionally made with canned beans - a mixture of canned wax, green, and kidney beans marinated in a sweet vinaigrette with sweet onions, and bell peppers. Here, fresh beans make a huge difference. Three Bean Salad is great dish for pot-lucks and picnics. - Waverly —Waverly
Food52 Review: Waverly offers a fresh-tasting bean salad, a welcome update from the traditional (canned) three bean salad. I don't care for green bell pepper, so I substituted an orange bell pepper. The sherry vinegar gives a nice depth of flavor to the vinaigrette that permeates the salad. Thumbs up! - Lizthechef —The Editors
- 2 cups French green beans, washed, trimmed, and then blanched or steamed to crisp-tender (@ 3 minutes)
- 2 cups wax beans, washed, trimmed, and then blanched or steamed to crisp -tender (@ 3 minutes)
- 1 15.5 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet onion like Texas 1015, Vidalia, or Walla, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine Vegetables: In a large serving bowl, combine green beans, wax beans, bell pepper, and onion.
- Make Vinaigrette: In a small mixing bowl, combine vinegar, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil until the mixture is emulsified/fully combined.
- Marinate the Beans: Pour the vinaigrette over the beans and toss until beans are coated. Refrigerate overnight.
- Serve: Let the salad come to room temperature. Toss again. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best String Bean Salad
Hold Onto Those Stems
Over 30 recipes to put herb stems to good use
How to cook with herb stems.
Hatch chiles are worth the fuss.
We've got the summer blues.
Our favorite food reads.
A better basket.