If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a bit of a deconstruction of the real deal Nicoise that I made up because I had no Bibb lettuce or tuna packed in oil in the house to make the classic version. I sometimes serve it with grilled tuna and roasted fingerling potatoes to make it a full deconstruction. That said, just the bean salad works well as a flavorful (not to mention easy and fully prepare ahead-able) start to a either a casual or a formal dinner party. - cheese1227 - cheese1227
Food52 Review: This salad is a more focused version of Nicoise salad. A fresh, herby dressing gives the beans a little kick. The bites of salty olives and rich egg almost make you feel like you are sitting on the Mediterranean. - Stephanie - The Editors
Serves four as a starter
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 anchovy fillet, minced to a paste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 3/4 pound fresh green beans (I prefer the haricot vert variety), tops removed but tails still on
- 2 whole eggs, hard boiled
- 1/2 cup Nicoise olives
- Combine first nine ingredients (basil through olive oil) in a jar that has a secure lid and shake the heck out of it. Set aside.
- Cook the beans in boiling salted water to desired doneness. Shock them in cold water to stop cooking process, and drain them completely. Leave beans to dry on a paper towel and keep them at room temperature.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Separately push whites and yolks through a strainer to get fine shreds of egg whites and fine shreds of egg yolks.
- Artfully arrange beans among four plates. Dot the beans on each plate with six to eight olives. Drizzle two tablespoons of dressing over the beans and olives on each plate. Sprinkle one tablespoon of egg white shreds and then one teaspoon of egg yolks shreds over each bean salad. Serve with some crusty bread.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best String Bean Salad
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Berti Foraging Knife
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.