Author Notes: I make this recipe every weekend during the summer and my family eats it as a first course all week long. It stays good all week because of the vinegar. Even my 6 year old loves it! Use inexpensive, regular tomatoes. This is not the time to use those gorgeous heirloom babies. - ekpaster
Makes a big bowl
- 6 tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 red peppers, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 seedless cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1.5 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Croutons for garnish
- In batches, puree all ingredients, except the croutons, together in your food processor until the mixture is a thick, chunky liquid.
- Refrigerate for several hours. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve in bowls as a first course. Garnish with croutons or chopped cucumber.