If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I make this recipe every weekend during the summer and my family eats it as a first course all week long. It stays good all week because of the vinegar. Even my 6 year old loves it! Use inexpensive, regular tomatoes. This is not the time to use those gorgeous heirloom babies. —ekpaster
Makes a big bowl
- 6 tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 red peppers, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 seedless cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1.5 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Croutons for garnish
- In batches, puree all ingredients, except the croutons, together in your food processor until the mixture is a thick, chunky liquid.
- Refrigerate for several hours. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve in bowls as a first course. Garnish with croutons or chopped cucumber.