Author Notes: When I first had strawberries like this, it was just with sour cream and brown sugar, and the strawberries weren't macerated. And that's a wonderful way to serve them when they're fresh. But I usually found myself wanting to keep strawberries on hand for two or three days, and that meant macerating, so I altered the recipe to accommodate that. I keep strawberries in my refrigerator throughout the season, and make creme fraiche (which is not truly creme fraiche, but close enough) about twice a week, and I often have this for breakfast as well as dessert. - Kayb
- 1 pound strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 8 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- Rinse, cap and halve or quarter strawberries. Sprinkle with sugar and balsamic vinegar; toss gently. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Scoop a serving of strawberries into a dessert dish. Top with 2 tablespoon creme fraiche and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Serve immediately.
Sweetened Creme Fraiche
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Whisk all ingredients until yogurt is smootlhly blended into cream. Allow to sit and thicken on countertop for 3-4 hours. Will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Wonderful on any kind of fruit.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries