If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was inspired by the New York Times recipe when I made this. I'm a huge fan of the skirt steak and in these trying economic times, it's a cut that's affordable and full of flavor. I like that in Thai salads the beef isn't cooked all the way through and is accented by the spicy lime dressing - it makes for filling meal, yet perfectly refreshing and not heavy. Thai basil brings this salad to a whole new level! —sassyradish
- 8 ounces skirt steak
- 6 cups torn salad greens
- 1 cup torn fresh herb leaves (mint, cilantro, Thai basil or a combination)
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled if skin is tough, cut in half lengthwise, seeded and diced
- 1 small fresh hot red chili, like Thai, or to taste, minced
- 1 ripe mango, cubed
- 2 limes -- juice of
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla, available at Asian markets) or soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- If you are starting with raw meat, start a gas or charcoal grill or heat a broiler; rack should be about 4 inches from heat source. Grill or broil beef until medium rare, turning once or twice, 5 to 10 minutes, depending on thickness; set it aside to cool. I actually grilled my steak on a cast iron grill pan, which I've fallen in love with and sing its praises on a near-daily basis.
- Toss greens with herbs, onion and cucumber. In a bowl, combine all remaining ingredients with 1 tablespoon water; dressing will be thin. Use half of this mixture to toss with greens. Remove greens to a platter.
- Slice beef thinly, reserving its juice; combine juice with remaining dressing. Lay slices of beef over salad, drizzle remaining dressing over all, and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beef Salad
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
DIY Nutter Butters.
We give it 8 tentacles up.