Author Notes: My boyfriend loves rhubarb. He has been asking me to make something with rhubarb for a long time. When I knew it was in season, I stopped by the farmer's market and picked some up. They also had the first strawberries of the season. I heard that Rhubarb and Strawberries make the perfect accompaniment - Nicole Franzen
- 4 cups Rhubarb
- 2 cups Strawberries
- 1 Orange (zest and juice)
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Firstly cut the ends off the Rhubarb, then cut into 1 inch pieces. Rinse strawberries and cut in half. Place ingredients in a bowl and then add the 3/4 cups granulated sugar and 1/4 cup unbleached flour. Add the zest of one orange and the juice of half. Toss together and set aside.
- For crumble topping I put one cup of oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour and one stick of butter into a bowl. Mix thoroughly with your hands.
- In a baking pan place the strawberry rhubarb mixture. Then add the crumble to the top. Make sure its evenly distributed. I sprinkled a little bit more brown sugar on top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. Finish with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whip cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries