If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Our markets are full of local strawberries and I choose mine by smell as much as taste. I have made this pie for years but recently have switched to a shortbread crust. My Scottish ancestors would scold me for substituting AP flour for the traditional rice flour I use in my cookies. I think the AP makes a sturdier crust. Be sure to let the crust completely cool before piling on the berries and, yes, you will need three baskets of fruit for this fresh-tasting strawberry pie. —Lizthechef
Serves one pie
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, cut into pieces and at room temperature
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar or white sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups AP flour
- Combine the butter and sugar, using a fork. Add the egg yolk and mix well. Add the flour and use your fingers to make a crumbly dough. Pat into a 9 inch pie plate and chill in fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove crust from fridge, prick holes with a fork and line the crust with buttered parchment paper (buttered side down) and pie weights or beans. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove weights and parchment. Bake for five more minutes until lightly browned.
- Cool completely (in fridge) before adding strawberries.
- 3 baskets washed strawberries, trimmed and hulled, divided use
- 1 teaspoon Meyer lemon zest (or any lemon)
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon juice ( any lemon)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup organic cane or white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Place two boxes of berries in crust, points up.
- Mash one box of berries with potato ricer and set aside.
- Heat water, sugar and cornstarch in medium-sized sauce pan and cook over medium heat until thick. Add the mashed berries and heat until thickened once again. (This will happen quickly). Stir in lemon zest and juice.
- Pour mixture over berries in crust. Chill pie in fridge for about 4 hours before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.