If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This was one of my Dad's greatest midnight sandwiches, and there's no sandwich like a Daddy midnight sandwich...Oh what a I wouldn't give to have a sandwich with my Dad just one more time.
Now my father told me they used to serve these at a diner in Sheepshead Bay, but my Mom recently shed some light on the true source.
Back in the late 50's my parents, who were not yet my parents, were dating, they would occasionally indulge in what was then known as the Mary Jane, and one night they had a craving for Chinese roast pork, coincidentally ( or not this was Brooklyn after all) there was a Pizza Place near the Chinese on Flatbush Ave and they came up.with the brilliant idea to make a sandwich. Yes my parents are OG Stoner food chefs!!!
This is some old skool fusion...pre banh mi. Really simple, probably just as good with homemade pork and homemade sauce, but the way I remember it is like this...(except I added the watercress because I'm fancy). - Aliwaks
- 1 Small order Sliced Roast Pork from Chinese Restaurant
- 2 Small crusty French Bread loaves or one big one cut in half
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon soft salted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (2 packets) or more, Duck Sauce, (can sub mango chutney)
- 1-2 handfuls of watercress
- squeeze of lime
- drizzle sesame oil
- salt & pepper
- Mix together garlic, butter & olive oil
- Slice bread in half and schmear with garlic butter
- Toast in toaster oven or broiler till butter melts and bread is toasty.
- Spread duck sauce over garlic butter, layer on pork.
- Toss watercress with lime,.sesame oil & salt & pepper layer on top.of the pork Close, sandwich, cut in half, eat.
- A spritz of hot sauce wouldn't be bad either.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe, Part 2
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pork Sandwich
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.