Author Notes: This Saturday marks the first of my monthly dinner parties called, Dinner at Eight. Each meal is 4 courses and this recipe is the fresh and scrumptious dessert course. Nothing sings Spring like strawberries from the market! - F for Food - F for Food
Food52 Review: This is a show-stopping strawberry recipe! I wanted to test it because it called for chocolate mint, my favorite variety in the garden. The rich flavor of the mint contrasts nicely with the lemon zest, both highlighting the freshness of the berries. The real winners here, in my opinion, are the incredible shortcakes with their beautifully crumbly texture and intoxicating aroma. These didn't make it till dessert... Double thumbs up! - Lizthechef
Mascerated Strawberries & Chantilly Cream
- 2 pints fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup clover honey
- 1/4 cup chocolate mint, chiffonade
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 cups heavy cream (I prefer raw cream here)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the strawberries: Rinse the berries in colander under cool running water, pat dry with a paper towel. Hull the berries and quarter. Add the honey, lemon zest and chocolate mint. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- For the Chantilly Cream: In a large mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract together on high speed until soft peaks form in the mixture. Chill any unused Chantilly cream.
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter (cut into small chunks)
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 425 Mix with fork: flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Add butter; blend to a consistency of coarse meal. Quickly pour in cream and mix until dough starts to come together
- Place dough on clean surface and bring together with your hands. Shape into circle 1 1/4" thick. Cut circle in half and then cut each half into four wedges. Place shortcakes on buttered baking sheet Brush with remaining tablespoon of cream and sprinkle a little sugar on top Bake 15 minutes (until biscuits are golden brown)
- See photo for assembly option.