If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The rhubarb-wine bbq sauce for this recipe was originally an entry to the rhubarb contest. For that contest, I made it with boneless pork ribs. For this contest, my recipe is for pulled pork. BBQ is often made into a sandwich with plain old white bread, and I think that would be nice with this, although freshly baked rolls are always good too. I have an unsweetened ketchup at home that I used when making this bbq sauce, so if you are using sweetened ketchup you may want to cut down on the sugar. - clintonhillbilly
- 1 pound pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 onion, quartered
- Trim any skin off of pork shoulder and cut into large chunks. Rub each with a bit of salt.
- Sear pork chunks in a skillet over high heat.
- Combine all remaning ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add pork chunks and simmer, covered, until pork easily falls apart with a fork (1-2 hours).
- Remove chunks of pork to a plate and shred them using two forks. Add a little bit of the cooking broth back in to moisten them.
- Pour rhubarb-wine bbq sauce over pork and toss to mix thoroughly.
Rhubarb-Wine BBQ Sauce
- 6 stalks rhubarb
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 8 twists of a black pepper grinder
- Chop rhubarb and place in a saucepan with water and 1/3 cup sugar. Bring to a boil and boil for ten minutes, adding water if necessary and sugar to taste. The rhubarb should be sweet, tart, and soft enough to be easily mushed with a spoon.
- Add all other sauce ingredients, stir well to thoroughly combine, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pork Sandwich
Freeze It Right There
A fruity, frozen spin on a classic.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Plan a genius dinner party: part one.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Community Picks: Lettuce-Free Salad
A trusty trivet.